Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from November, 2017

Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru

Director: H Vinoth Cast: Karthi, Rakul Preet, Abhimanyu Singh Tamil cinema and cop flicks have a better love story than Twilight and this love-making has resulted in numerous films in the genre. With many films such as Singam and Saamy turning out to be franchises on its own looks like there won’t be a dearth of it for another few years. But what we have here, the Karthi starrer Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru , won’t just fill a slot in the list, as it’ll also find its way to the top 10 cop flicks ever made in Tamil cinema. Very rarely in a commercial film is importance given to details, character arcs and acting as such, but this film seems to have done the most of it to the tee. Theeran … is a chapter of a cop as he wades through a tough case that involves a gang of dacoits headed by an amazing Abhimanyu Singh. Based on true events, the film beautiful covers the trials and tribulations of Theeran (Karthi) and his gang of cops trying their best to make sure truth doesn’t bite the dust.

Justice League

Director:  Zack Snyder Cast:  Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa In a fan-favourite scene from the teaser, Barry Allen (The Flash, played by a dashing Ezra Miller), asks Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck returning as Batman) what the caped crusader’s actual superpower is. Bruce dryly responds, “I’m rich.” You could well say the same about the production house for having made this film. Justice League a film with a $300 million budget, but you don’t really see this richness translate onto the screen. But that’s the least of the film’s worries, with highs and lows so disproportionate, that I suspect if charted on paper, would end up looking somewhat like a cardiogram. “I’m putting together a team of people with special abilities. See, I believe enemies are coming,” says Bruce to Diana Prince (Gal Gadot). Who is this enemy he speaks of? The comic lovers (or those with deep pockets, who were able to afford the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ) wou

Aramm

Director: Gopi Nainar Cast:  Nayanthara, Sunu Lakshmi Rarely does a film leave you shocked, thrilled, satisfied and as a tear jerker at the same time and this week’s Nayanthara starrer Aramm does exactly that. As someone who follows the director’s talks on social issues ever since he shot to limelight after filing a case against AR Murugadoss stating that Kaththi was actually based on his story, I knew he’ll be a filmmaker to watch out for. Little did I realise that he’ll make a film with the biggest and the highest paid South Indian actress in his debut. Aramm is a flashback to a series of events that happens in a day in the life of collector Madhivadhani. Due to the lethargic behaviour of many officials and politicians, the life of a 4-year-old gets taken for a ride. In a race against time, Madhi and her incompetent gang of officials must do whatever it takes to save her. What amazed me was the fact that nothing in the film has been tailor-made for Nayan. Anyone could’ve pulled i