Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from July, 2018

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Director: Peyton Reed Cast: Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Pena, Hannah John-Kamen, Michelle Pfeiffer, Laurence Fishburne, Michael Douglas After the shocking events of  Avengers: Infinity War , which released earlier this year, many were left wondering if Marvel was going to take a serious route akin to its DC counterparts. Those who kept track of its line-up of films, however, knew that Ant-Man and the Wasp would be anything but serious. The twentieth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn’t really change the tone set by  Infinity  War . It happens right after  Captain America: Civil War,  which also explains why Scott Lang/Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) and his team weren’t a part of the war against the mad Titan, Thanos. While the other films in the universe resort to a fair amount of serious storytelling, the  Ant-Man  series stands testament to Marvel’s (and Disney’s) way of having fun whilst doing this. This was abundantly made clear in 2015’s  Ant-Man , which was in stark contra

Tamizh Padam 2

Cast: Shiva, Sathish, Iswarya Menon Director: CS Amudhan With sequels being the fad in the industry right now, it’s no surprise that the 2010 Tamizh Padam , which can be called as the first spoof film in Indian cinema and not just in Kollywood, has come up with a sequel. When speaking with Shiva for an interview, I asked him the reason for a 8-year gap and while he answered it in his usual style, those who see the film would understand the reason. It’s because of the tons of materials we’ve had over the last 8 years that gets to be parodied and Tamizh Padam 2 which released today does that unapologetically without any mercy or reservations. In a line, I’d say TP2 is to Tamil cinema what Ready Player One was for Hollywood. Before you jump the gun, let me tell you where I draw such a comparison from. While the latter film won thanks for banking on the nostalgic values of today’s adults, TP2 does the same — in a much-localised manner. The film is a treasure chest of pop-culture refere