Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from November, 2018

2.0

Cast: Rajinikanth, Akshay Kumar, Amy Jackson Director: Shankar If I have to be honest, let me start with saying that Enthiran never found a fan in me. I loved Rajini and Shankar’s Sivaji and I would even joke how I’d watch Baba over Enthiran if given a chance (Yes, I love Baba ). So, when a sequel was announced to this sci-fi flick which ended up being the most expensive film ever made in our soil, and not to mention the Tamil debut of Akshay Kumar, the stakes have never been higher. Naturally, it instantly intrigued me. Thankfully, what didn’t work for me majorly in Enthiran , are the bits reworked for 2.0. For example, there isn’t an interfering love track for Dr Vaseegaran (Rajini) and hence, no duet numbers in exotic locations or expensive sets. This helps to keep our attention glued to the core story of the film which is about an ornithologist’s revenge at cell phone users as the harmful radiation from their phones are killing birds. But does the film deliver the necessary pu

Sarkar

Cast: Vijay, Keerthy Suresh, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar, Pazha Karuppiah, Radharavi Director: AR Murugadoss Undoubtedly, the current political climate in Tamilnadu is providing ample fodder to Tamil cinema, which has “incidentally” been the go-to industry for many who wants to make the political plunge. After a hilarious Tamizh Padam 2 and NOTA which border-line spoofed the scenario, the Vijay starrer AR Murugadoss directorial Sarkar takes on the ongoing sequence of events in a serious and a holistic manner. Speaking about seriousness, this actor-director combos’ previous two collaborations, Thuppaki and Kaththi have turned out to be super-hits and if that doesn’t send the stakes up north, Vijay has been having a dream run with back to back blockbusters and A.R.M needs a hit desperately after the Spyder fiasco. While heroism used to be sending goons flying and mouthing punch dialogues, it goes a step ahead in Sarkar , where Sundar Ramasamy (Vijay in something of an extension of Sanja