Skip to main content

Hotel Sathyam, Pudukkottai

Stayed here for only one night along with my family. Asked for a Suite room on one morning and was in a state of urgency and called them up again to ask for the same room the evening before itself. Was told it was possible and to get there which was exactly what we did and the room wasn’t available. After waiting for 30 mins and talking to the manager who finally said it was a ‘communication error’ a room was promised in another hr’s time. The manager was sweet enough to give us the ‘king suite’ for no extra price and that was really good from his side.
The room wasn’t the suite type that you would find in a good city. It was bigger than the normal room size but wasn’t huge as how a suite is meant to be. The carpets were dirty, the bathroom had match sticks on the floor and the ac was window type instead of split and even though it ran for an entire night, it wasn’t cold the next day morning. They have broken the ac buttons intentionally so that we can’t change the temperature to suit our needs. The fridge came up handy and was in a pretty good shape. The pillows and sheets were stained. There was a fish tank and there was a debris of a dead fish at the bottom which was pretty disturbing. The entire day, the fishes weren’t fed and the main power source that switches off when we remove the key also powers the motor for the fish tank which made me feel barbaric.
Room service were good but being one the biggest hotel in Pudukkottai one would normally expect the staffs to wear a uniform. That wasn’t there. The car parking space is not that big and that could be a issue.
Overall they are really in a bad shape but they have a good name among the locals who would recommend it to travelers. The National lodge which doesn’t even appear on tripadvisor is an awesome alternative in one third of the price. They are just a 5 min walk from hotel sathyam and they are right at the entrance of the main bus stand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo