Skip to main content

Isai

isai

He was a supporting artiste who later became a director, a writer, a producer and in this latest creation he has taken the avatar of a music director too. Known for giving one of the best films for both Vijay and Ajith, S.J.Surya’s last Tamil film as a director was Anbe Aaruyire back in 2005. After some not-worth-remembering films such as Kalvanin Kadhali, Thirumagan, Vyabari etc, Surya self imposed a hiatus for almost a decade. Finally, Isai, a film that he had planned long time back got to see the daylight.

Apart from S.J.Surya, Isai stars Sathyaraj, Sulagna, Ganja Karuppu, Thambi Ramaiah and SS music fame Gibran. Surya plays the role of Shiva, the most sought after Music director in the field who was once an assistant to Vetriselvan, played by Sathyaraj, who had his days at the pinnacle but now at the depths thanks to Shiva’s success. What ego does to a man who couldn’t digest the success of someone who was beneath him once but has outgrown him exponentially forms the crux of Isai.

It wouldn’t be wrong to say that Sathyarai has been getting the best roles of his lifetime post his hero days. Isai gives him a platform to showcase his stellar and mature skills that he has honed over the years. The way he portrays the ruthless villainous schemes with a touch of humour sense definitely thrills and entertains. Surya on the other hand needs no introduction when it comes to acting. Most of the directors are really good actors as they know what’s needed for the role. Surya storms through the film with the right amount of emotions and action without crossing the border of over acting. Sulagna is given a significant role that travels throughout the film. Though she has a high share of screen space her acting skills aren’t given much scope and is mostly limited for glamour sequences.

Surya must be commended for his job as a musician. The BGM scores are good and while some songs are great, the rest are hummable. Art director Milan’s creations at the hill scenes are magnificent. Cinematography and Dialogues are some departments where they could’ve worked more on.

On the negative end, the film’s total run time is 3hrs and 10 mins. A lot of sequences such as the cliche love sequences and the ‘atho vanile’ song could have been shortened to make the film even more racier. Something that needs a special mention is Surya’s guts on how he ended the film. The film might move in a predictable manner but distinct climax sequence along with some minor twists in between is surely the sign of director’s intelligence and his confidence over it. While the double meaning innuendos that are synonymous with S.J.Surya’s films are considerably less, he has upped the heat with glamour quotient. It’s still a surprise on how this film managed a U/A certificate. Overall, Isai is a glorious comeback film for Surya and it’s sure to entertain the youths.

ISAI :- Nijam aana sangeetha kanavu !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo

Northern Suites, Bangalore

Hotels like Northern Suites remind us that it’s not actually that big a deal for the customers to have a perfect experience. On my way to Coorg by bike from Chennai, I stopped by at Bangalore and as a city with tons of options, I was lucky enough to spot this hidden gem. Located at Brookefields, one of the city’s best areas, I was happy to discover a place which has all the basic amenities a person travelling alone would need. To be honest, it took a lot of searching online as I needed a place that’s light on the wallet yet be comfy as possible. Considering I was all by myself, I didn’t mind being a bit adventurous and that’s how I landed here. Thankfully, they have an open space right opposite the hotel which was more than enough to park my bike. Though I was sceptical about it being an open space, I was glad that it was safe and sound when I got back the next day.  As far as the room is conc