Skip to main content

Kaaviya Thalaivan

kaaviya-thalaivan-hd-wallpaper

When historical fiction has become a genre directors tend to ignore intentionally, Vasanthabalan comes with a classic called as Kaaviya Thalaivan. He is easily one of the most underrated directors of Tamil cinema who, even after classics such as Veyil and Angaadi theru, is yet to capture the market his peers have already attained.

Kaaviya Thalaivan is the result of 1.5 yrs of research and this is obvious when seeing the end product. This is the story of a drama troupe led by Nassar set in the pre-independence era. Prithviraj and Siddharth play pivotal roles in the troupe and the ego that one of them sows branches out in various ways that makes the troupe to shatter. What happens to the troupe and its members along with a parallel romantic track/triangle with a pinch of patriotism forms the crux of Kaaviya Thalaivan.

This film has brought out some of the hidden talents of it’s artists as there is a lot of scope to showcase their skills which almost all of them have done it gracefully. Starting from the lead cast, Siddharth has given his best ever performance for a Tamil film in this film. Prithviraj with his darker shades has done justice to his role. Vedhika’s character is quite important as it has to travel both in the main story line as well as the love track. She has done an extraordinary job in all aspects, be it acting or dancing. The supporting cast members include Nassar, Thambi Ramaiah, Singampuli, Ponvannan and Mansoor Ali Khan. Each of them get a fair amount of screen space and they’ve done their bits really well. Probably the only eyesore was the so called second heroine Anaika Soti who should have been replaced with someone who could deliver the character with even more charm and grace.

Some commendable job behind the screen were delivered by many departments. Nirav Shah’s amazing cinematography with the golden feel for almost the entire film gave it the period touch required. A.R.Rahman is a huge plus not just in the music dept but also in the film’s promotion and as it’s cover image. After backing out of a Hollywood project just because this film provided him the challenge to deliver the music of 1920’s, he had to go thru a lot of research to deliver the right product. Special mention has to be given to the arts, costume and makeup depts.

The first half is racy with a few twists and turns that makes us eager for the second half. Not sure if its because of the expectation, but the second half takes the story on a different route that is considerably slower and since the climax is predictable, the ending seems to fall flat.

As with his previous films, Vasanthabalan has shown us a glimpse of the world his characters live in and as usual he has done it in style. Kaaviya Thalaivan will definitely be one his best films and one of the best we’ve seen this year. The slow pace of the film might not suit everyone’s taste but it’s definitely a film that can be enjoyed with family and friends. One of those must watch films thanks to its awesome performances.

Kaaviya Thalaivan – Kaaviyam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Munna Bhai Dhaba, Sullurpet, Andhra Pradesh

  This time, we rode almost 100 kms to discover this hidden gem. Located at the ever busy NH16, Munna Bhai Dhaba is one of those places that dishes out some delicious food for you to cherish en route to your destination. Just that, this time it was our destination. After starting at 8:30PM from Chennai, we reached here around 10ish and by that time some items were unfortunately sold out. Out of 10, 6 of us were hardcore carnivores while the rest of them were Eggetarians. We opted for a couple of Chicken dishes which included Munna Bhai special chicken (a yummy starter with sauteed chicken and cashews) and a couple more Chicken dishes which are named after the states of our country. One such dish was the which had an egg base with piping hot Chicken curry on top which was the star of our dinner. A surprise show-stealer was the Onion Pakoda which looked bleh but tasted great. Rotis were so warm and fluffy that we finished 40 of them in no time. Egg Bhurji was apparently good too. Obvious

InterContinental Mahabalipuram

After visiting InterContinental many times to meet people who were staying there, for events & functions and for, of course, dining in, I decided it was high time I experienced a stay at this property. A while back, it happened and here I’m chronicling that experience.  Location, Reception and First Impressions InterContinental Mahabalipuram stands among a handful of star properties that are located close to Mamallapuram but not exactly inside the bustling town. It’s situated on the ever-busy East Coast Road and is a cool 42kms away from Central Chennai and almost the same distance from the Chennai International Airport as well (yes, I checked). Post the ‘vanakkam’ by the security personnel who greets you right at the gate, the first thing one would notice about ICC is how simple and elegant it is. Once you get past the security checks, you’re welcomed by the sky and a long pathway and standing on the edge of it gives us a bird’s-eye view of the property. The reception is a high ro