Skip to main content

The Moon And Sixpence

Very few restaurants make its way to my wishlist and very few take it’s own sweet time for me to get them ticked off. Though I wanted to strike Moon & Sixpence off my list, a plan never materialized and it took a while to finally make it happen. Their lunch combos were the ones that attracted me and a couple of my food buddies and that’s how we landed at this resto-pub. Given below is my take on The Moon and Sixpence.

The Moon and Sixpence is located in Hablis that’s near the Kathipara junction. Just like any restaurant inside a hotel, they have valet parking service. Located below the terrace, which is occupied by the beautiful Hablife, MASP is an Irish themed pub. What could be a better theme for a watering hole than the one that gives a classic Irish pub feel? Ambience here looks picture perfect. Right from the Irish green look, bar stools, dark wood shelves and dim lighting, they’ve nailed the décor part of it. Air con on the other hand was a bit off the regular levels, which was disturbing.

Watering holes are usually infamous for mediocre food. After all, food isn’t the reason why anyone would come to a pub. With that in mind, resto-pubs across the city have introduced business lunches/power lunch combos to rope in customers during the deserted noon times which is an excellent move. Their plethora of choices, different cuisines available and of course, the fact that a beer can very well be a part of the combo makes these lunches a pretty successful idea. Unfortunately, we got here on the first day of a month and apparently, they had decided to scrap the lunch combo idea right from that date. The lucky we, were left with no choice but to order from the a la carte menu.

By the time I reached, some from the gang were already there and they had ordered a couple of starters and drinks. Some of the items we ordered were a mug of draught which happened to be Kingfisher, a Berry Sweetheart Mocktail, Club Burgers, Homemade Coleslaw, Tuna Melt Sandwich, Texas Cheese fries, Beer Battered Fish n Chips, MASP Stew, MASP Club Burger, Lamb Steak & Mushroom Pie and Tri Beans Cannelloni. The mocktail lacked that punch and was filled to the brim with ice. The block shaped fries were perfect along with the cheese and jalapenos. Coleslaw was pretty decent. Nachos were good and they disappeared in no time. The Tuna Melt sandwich was very OKish. Tri Beans Cannelloni, which was the only decent sounding vegetarian dish, ordered by my veggie pal Arjun Kalia was disappointing. So it was quite an agonizing experience for him. The burger was a pair of it actually and was presented beautifully. Unfortunately the taste didn’t match up to the looks. I got myself a Lamb shank which was served in a stew with breads and a portion of rice. The Lamb Shank was cooked to perfection and was amazing whereas the stew couldn’t match the same. Surprisingly, Sammienatorr, who orders the worst tasting item every time ended up ordering the best dish of the day, the classic Fish and chips. Even more surprisingly, I, who always order the best tasting dish ended up ordering the Lamb Steak & Mushroom Pie. What’s more devastating was the fact that I ordered it for Sukanya Kaur who ended up finishing the Lamb dish and thereby becoming the scapegoat (pun intended). The Fish n Chips were absolutely amazing and all those who tasted it wished that they’d ordered the same too. The pie on the other hand was tightly filled with lamb and mushrooms but was a tad too dry and very bland.

Service was definitely not up to the mark and we had a hard time getting their attention whenever we needed their aid. Including taxes, the total bill amount was 6475rs. If the experience had been a good one, pricing would’ve been perfect. For whatever we had, I guess it’s overpriced and not worth it.

RATINGS BREAK UP:-
Location:- 4/5
Parking:- 5/5
Reception:- 2/5
Food:- 2/5
Customer Service:- 1.5/5
Ambience:- 4/5
Price:- 2.5/5

[fb_album id=”534463376729165″]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Munna Bhai Dhaba, Sullurpet, Andhra Pradesh

  This time, we rode almost 100 kms to discover this hidden gem. Located at the ever busy NH16, Munna Bhai Dhaba is one of those places that dishes out some delicious food for you to cherish en route to your destination. Just that, this time it was our destination. After starting at 8:30PM from Chennai, we reached here around 10ish and by that time some items were unfortunately sold out. Out of 10, 6 of us were hardcore carnivores while the rest of them were Eggetarians. We opted for a couple of Chicken dishes which included Munna Bhai special chicken (a yummy starter with sauteed chicken and cashews) and a couple more Chicken dishes which are named after the states of our country. One such dish was the which had an egg base with piping hot Chicken curry on top which was the star of our dinner. A surprise show-stealer was the Onion Pakoda which looked bleh but tasted great. Rotis were so warm and fluffy that we finished 40 of them in no time. Egg Bhurji was apparently good too. Obvious

InterContinental Mahabalipuram

After visiting InterContinental many times to meet people who were staying there, for events & functions and for, of course, dining in, I decided it was high time I experienced a stay at this property. A while back, it happened and here I’m chronicling that experience.  Location, Reception and First Impressions InterContinental Mahabalipuram stands among a handful of star properties that are located close to Mamallapuram but not exactly inside the bustling town. It’s situated on the ever-busy East Coast Road and is a cool 42kms away from Central Chennai and almost the same distance from the Chennai International Airport as well (yes, I checked). Post the ‘vanakkam’ by the security personnel who greets you right at the gate, the first thing one would notice about ICC is how simple and elegant it is. Once you get past the security checks, you’re welcomed by the sky and a long pathway and standing on the edge of it gives us a bird’s-eye view of the property. The reception is a high ro