Skip to main content

Holy Grill

This is a place that a lot of people in Chennai would’ve been looking forward to, a pure vegetarian barbecue restaurant. Finding the market for such a veg bbq place is brilliant and it couldn’t have been a better time for such a spot in our city. Though I’m a hardcore carnivore, I do have a lot of herbivores as friends and I even know a few who wouldn’t eat in a place that serves both veg and non veg food. So I guess this place would be a blessing for such people and no wonder I’ve recommended this place to them. A couple of my foodie friends and I were invited during their soft launch period and we had a nice time trying out some really good dishes. Given below is my take on Holy Grill, Nungambakkam.

Holy Grill is located at the food hub of our city which is KNK road. It’s exactly on the road opposite to New Yorker. A huge billboard with the restaurant’s name in bold fonts with spotlights beaming on it is something hard to miss. There is enough parking space which is something hard to come by in Nungambakkam, especially in KNK road. Though the place isn’t as large as other BBQ joints, the ambience is pretty serene with different shades of wood covering the walls and used for furnitures. The wordings ‘People who love to eat are always the best kind of people’ is neatly fastened to the wall and it’ll surely catch one’s sight.

As far as the concept is concerned, it’s the same old tried and tested one of serving starters and BBQ at the table but for a change (and space constraints) the mains are also served right at the tables and only for desserts one would have to get off their chairs. They have a rotating menu with dishes changing frequently so that a customer’s chance of trying the same starter again on their next visit would be very less. On the day we went, we had the following dishes:

Starters on Grill:

  • Hara Masala Ka Paneer Tikka: Super soft paneer chunks, marinated well and cooked to perfection. Loved it.
  • Moroccan BBQ Grill Veg: A regular medley of veggies.
  • Chat Pati Gobi: Fiery looking cauliflower that tasted decent.
  • Lemonaise Chilli Garlic Mushroom: Excellently cooked, juicy mushrooms that were ruined by too much masala which made its spice level sky rocket.

Starters from the Kitchen:

  • Cajun Spicy Potato: A classic in any BBQ spot and I was looking forward to trying this dish. Sadly what we got were super thin and crispy potatoes which were doused with very little sauce. We got a second serving which was made to our liking and it was much better.
  • Jaipuri Subji Sheek Kebab: Tasted really good.
  • Crispy Chilli Babycorn: Yet another BBQ classic which can never go wrong. These guys have nailed this one perfectly.
  • Salads: There were couple of salads such as Aloo Peanut, Apple Broccoli, Toss salad and etc along with the regular fresh cut veggies, papads and curd rice. I found the Apple Broccoli salad to be intriguing and the others salads were actually better than I expected them to be.

Mains:

  • Paneer Makhanwala: They’ve got their paneer just perfectly and so this dish was amazing with breads.
  • Bharwan Capsicum: Easily the best dish of that evening. Big slices of bell peppers engulfed by kofta and cooked in a tangy gravy, everyone loved it.
  • Dal Jeerawali: Who wouldn’t love some yummy dal with their Indian breads. They were blissful.
  • Vegetable Balls Manchurian: Though the balls were perfect, the gravy was super watery. That diluted the taste pretty badly making it an OKish dish.
  • Hakka Noodles: The regular one, nothing worth raving about.
  • Kaju Pulao: A nicely made pulao which went really well with paneer and dal.
  • Assorted Indian Breads: Found the first batch to be too thin which ended being crispy and hard after a while. Second one was much softer and was perfect for the sides.

Desserts:

  • Angoori Gulaab Jamun: Found them to be shaped oddly but one bite and I was in heaven. One of the best I’ve tried in a buffet.
  • Walnut Brownie: As it was eggless, I didn’t find it to be soft with fluffiness which I like in a brownie.
  • Shahi Tukda: Delicious bread pudding with Rabdi. Tasted really good.
  • Coconut Rice Pudding: Yet another winner. Loved it’s smoothness along with crunchy pomegranate pieces for garnish.
  • Cupcakes: Probably an eyesore when seen with the rest of the amazing desserts. Tasted really bad.
  • Ice Cream: They had an option of Vanilla or Mango. Being the odd one out, I went with Mango. It was alright.

Though it’s an invite, I found their prices to be competitive. Service was OKish which I guess is because of the fact that they’re new. We had the opportunity to have a chat with the owners who were giving us an idea behind the conception of such a concept and were also kind enough to listen to our feedbacks and suggestions. Overall, we had a lovely time and some dishes we tried were extraordinary. This is THE place for veggies who love barbecues and they’ll surely love it.

RATINGS BREAK UP:-
Location:- 4.5/5
Parking:- 4/5
Reception:- 3/5
Food:- 3.5/5
Customer Service:- 3/5
Ambience:- 3.5/5

[fb_album id=”549613468547489″]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo