Skip to main content

Irudhi Suttru

Ritika Singh, Madhavan in Irudhi Suttru Movie Audio Release Posters

Sports drama genre has always been an interesting one when it comes to Indian cinema. It’s either a biopic on some well known sports personality or either the story of an underdog emerging against all odds to become numero uno. Irudhi Suttru (Saala Khadoos in Hindi) falls in the latter category. Sudha Kongora, who debuted through ‘Drohi’ to Tamil cinema has directed Irudhi Suttru which was simultaneous taken in Hindi too. The film features Madhavan, who is back in Tamil cinemas after a long hiatus, along with Ritika Singh, a professional mixed martial artist.

Irudhi Suttru is the story of Prabhu (played by Maddy), a talented boxer who fell victim to the boxing federation’s corruption and politics which destroys him professionally and personally, and is now resorted to become a boxing coach. Fallen but not beaten, he still does his best in picking out the right talents and standing what he believes for, though he comes out as a foul mouthed, cocky womaniser to others. He spots the talent in Madhi (Ritika), a fisherwoman and a happy-go-lucky-girl who decides to train under his wing just for the remuneration he promises and for the fact that it’ll stop him from expelling his sister, who’s training in the hopes of a government job, from the association. Prabhu’s determination to train Madhi who won’t budge and how things end up as a ‘and they happily lived ever after’ forms the crux of this film.

First half sees a beautiful introduction to the lead pair’s characters with Maddy’s opening scene itself showing his positives and negatives. Ritika’s character build up needs a special mention. Santhosh Narayanan’s music and Sivakumar Vijayan’s magic behind the lens in showcasing North Madras takes the audience through a breezy yet gripping first half. Post intermission, it’s full on raw action as Madhi turns a new leaf and becomes the person Prabhu wanted her to be.

There couldn’t have been a better comeback for Maddy to Tamil cinema. This role fits him like a glove and it looks as if the it’s tailor made for him. He has beefed up and apparently trained to box for months and that has definitely given him a upper hand in executing the ruthless, rugged look the character craves for. Ritika, on the other hand, is an excellent find for Indian cinema. Thanks to her background, she seem to play her character with such grace and elegance. Be the devil-may-care attitude in first half with a local body language and eccentric personality or the serious transformation in the second half, she has done a marvellous job in it. Not to mention the near perfect lip sync. Apart from them, there are veterans such as Radharavi and Nasser who’ve given their usual best in whatever small roles they’ve got. Kaali Venkat has done a neat job in delivering some humour quotient. Mumtaz Sorcar, daughter of the famous magician, PC Sorcar Jr, gets her pass to Tamil cinema with this flick and her role as a boxer and Madhi’s elder sister is quite an important one. Santhosh Narayanan’s BGM sets the mood perfectly and his ‘Ey Sandakaara’ track is one of his best compositions. This is also his first Hindi film. Dialogues are one of this film’s strongest pillars and some lines command a horde of whistles across the theatre. Sudha Kongara can be said as someone who finally breaks the jinx in Tamil cinema that a woman director can make a daring film with a strong message, yet say it in the most entertaining way possible. Her depiction of the love track between lead characters is a wonderful touch. The scenes which shows the depth of corruption in our sports federations is alarming  and the fact that it’s not fiction in our country only makes it more disturbing.

Though the second half drags a bit at places and the latter half of it is pretty guessable, there is almost no deviation from the main story line. Couple that with some brilliant film making and amazing performances from the leads, they all make Irudhi Suttru a film that’s not to be missed.

Irudhi Suttru – A knock out performance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Munna Bhai Dhaba, Sullurpet, Andhra Pradesh

  This time, we rode almost 100 kms to discover this hidden gem. Located at the ever busy NH16, Munna Bhai Dhaba is one of those places that dishes out some delicious food for you to cherish en route to your destination. Just that, this time it was our destination. After starting at 8:30PM from Chennai, we reached here around 10ish and by that time some items were unfortunately sold out. Out of 10, 6 of us were hardcore carnivores while the rest of them were Eggetarians. We opted for a couple of Chicken dishes which included Munna Bhai special chicken (a yummy starter with sauteed chicken and cashews) and a couple more Chicken dishes which are named after the states of our country. One such dish was the which had an egg base with piping hot Chicken curry on top which was the star of our dinner. A surprise show-stealer was the Onion Pakoda which looked bleh but tasted great. Rotis were so warm and fluffy that we finished 40 of them in no time. Egg Bhurji was apparently good too. Obvious

InterContinental Mahabalipuram

After visiting InterContinental many times to meet people who were staying there, for events & functions and for, of course, dining in, I decided it was high time I experienced a stay at this property. A while back, it happened and here I’m chronicling that experience.  Location, Reception and First Impressions InterContinental Mahabalipuram stands among a handful of star properties that are located close to Mamallapuram but not exactly inside the bustling town. It’s situated on the ever-busy East Coast Road and is a cool 42kms away from Central Chennai and almost the same distance from the Chennai International Airport as well (yes, I checked). Post the ‘vanakkam’ by the security personnel who greets you right at the gate, the first thing one would notice about ICC is how simple and elegant it is. Once you get past the security checks, you’re welcomed by the sky and a long pathway and standing on the edge of it gives us a bird’s-eye view of the property. The reception is a high ro