Skip to main content

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai

The Courtallam Border Rahmath shop is one of the most famous eateries in Courtallam and it’s definitely a foodie’s dream come true to find a branch of it in our Chennai. They’re finally here and their first few days have been excruciating. Food forums in social media platforms slammed them for their service and most of the reviews I saw were negative. Though I haven’t tried their original restaurant, I was more than eager to try this branch. Given below is my take on Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai, T Nagar.

The Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai is located in GN Chetty Road. It is exactly opposite to Murugan Idly kadai. There is ample car parking space and it’s manned too. There isn’t much to talk about as far as décor is concerned. It’s a two floored restaurant and we decided to occupy the top one. The reused grimy looking air conditioners does look out of place as the rest of the restaurant looks sparking clean. On a Thursday evening it was pretty astonishing to see a restaurant completely packed but fortunately we got our table with minimal waiting period.

We sensed that there was a rush for the tables so we placed our orders quickly. Chicken Kothu Parotta, Parotta, Kaadai (Quail), Chicken fry, Pepper Chicken and Kalaki were what we ordered. The kothu parotta had a melt in mouth sensation and it was delicious. Would’ve preferred boneless chicken pieces in it but apparently that’s the way it’s served at their original shop. The parotta, for which they’re known for, were extremely good. I didn’t personally like the salna but the parotta was excellent with other curries too. We got the deep fried version of Kaadai and it was flawless. Their chicken fry must be their best side dish. It was succulent and perfectly spiced. Pepper chicken was more of pulled chicken meat with spices and it was good too. Their Kalaki wasn’t as spicy as I expected it to be but nevertheless it was yummy.

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai 1

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai 2

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai 3

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai 4

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai 5

Service, something for which this place received bad reviews, was surprisingly amazing for us. The person who served us was super friendly. We originally asked for biryani and when he sensed they’ve run out of it, he presented us with hot parottas and told us to enjoy this while the rest of our dishes were getting ready. This isn’t a fine dining restaurant and if you expect that level of service, you’ll be deceived. The service here is very personalised and courteous. Even a brother from North, who was clearing used banana leaves struck up a friendly conversation. If that wasn’t enough, a person at the billing counter asked us how our meal was. I prefer this type of service any given day.

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai 6

The aforementioned items costed Rs. 1868. I find it to be slightly on the higher end of my scale. But for the amazing food they served and the quality they provided, I guess it’s worth the price tag. Finished a lovely meal with a beautifully made sweet paan from the opposite side of the road, outside Hotel Virudhunagar. Overall, it was a really good experience and I can’t wait to try them again.

RATINGS BREAK UP:-
Location:- 4.5/5
Parking:- 4/5
Reception:- 3.5/5
Food:- 4/5
Customer Service:- 5/5
Ambience:- 3/5
Price:- 3.5/5

Courtallam Border Rahmath Kadai 7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo