Skip to main content

Amma Kanakku

Amma Kanakku review

Dream, dream as much as you can and follow them to achieve them. The lines of Abdul Kalam are further reinforced in Amma Kanakku which sees Amala Paul in a never-before-seen character, who ironically doesn’t know who Abdul Kalam is.

Dhanush is back to don the producer’s hat and after a stupendous film in the form of Kaaka Muttai, his banner, Wunderbar Films have a lot of expectations to handle. The latest from his stables is Amma Kanakku, a remake of the Bollywood drama flick Nil Battey Sannata. Ashwini Iyer Tiwari who directed the original has called the shots for the Tamil version too. The film stars Amala Paul as the mother of a 10 year old girl (played by Yuvalakshmi) alongside Revathi and Samuthirakani.

Amma Kanakku
shows us the story of Amala Paul who’s a single mother, trying to make her ends meet and does her best to make sure her daughter Yuvalakshmi gets what she wants and studies well. But, her daughter on the other hand, has decided that her mother can’t afford her college fees so gives up completely on studies which leads to bad grades. Amala Paul does many jobss throughout the day to make their bread and butter and one of those places where she works is Revathi’s house and she is her mother figure to whom she turn for help and advice when needed. When Revathi gives her a surprising solution to solve her daughter’s studies issue, Amala Paul forces herself to do something and this weakens her relationship with her daughter. How her daughter sorts her studies out and if Amala Paul can be successful in her mission forms the crux of Amma Kanakku.

After her wedding Amala Paul, has rightfully become choosy with the films she’s working on and she has opted for a splendid role. It’s truly a gutsy move for her to enact the role of a 10 year old’s mother. But, a role which is supposed to invoke sympathy and compassion doesn’t seem to command it from the audience. Her local Chennai slang is also inconsistent in a couple of scenes.

As her daughter, young actor Yuvalakshmi has delivered a brilliant performance and does justice to the role of a 10 year old who assumes what she does is right. Director turned actor Samuthirakani, who has proven his acting prowess in the last few years has grabbed the role of a school principal. Though he has been used for providing comic relief, his mannerisms and actions are rarely humorous. They rather come out as weird and artificial.

Revathi is back in a Tamil film after a long time and as a doctor, she has done a beautiful job with her subtle acting. The kids who act as the school children need a special mention and their innocent acting is enjoyable to watch.

The film does a good job is showcasing the problems of those whose lives are threaded to the poverty line. Though the drama takes a laid-back approach in unraveling the story, there aren’t many uninteresting scenes. The director deserves credit for choosing such a film and giving us a sneak peak into the lives of the downtrodden. But, the emotional connect and the ‘feel good’ nature is somewhat lost in translation or in this context, lost in the remake. The Tamil version of Nil Battey Sannata couldn’t strike a chord in us nor give us the soul stirring feel that the original film did.

Overall, Amma Kanakku doesn’t add up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo