Skip to main content

Iru Mugan

Iru Mugan Review Mister Madras

Iru Mugan, the long awaited sci-fi thriller from Vikram is finally here and this film has many reasons to be a game changer. This is also the first time Vikram has done a dual role. Directed by Anand Shankar, the film is produced by Shibu Thameens under his Thameens Film banner. Apart from Chiyaan, the film stars Nayanthara, Nithya Menen, Thambi Ramiah, Karunakaran and Nasser in pivotal roles.

RAW agents of the Indian Army Akilan (Vikram) and Meera (Nayanthara), go after Love (Vikram) who’s a mad scientist on loose. Post a battle, they assume they’ve taken down Love but in due process Akilan loses Meera to whom he would’ve gotten married to by then. Fast forward four years, Akilan, now an ex- agent, gets called back into service and that’s when he realizes that Love isn’t dead yet. RAW head Maliq (Nasser) sends Akilan and Aarushi (Nithya Menon) to Malaysia and Akilan takes the assignment only to get his hands on the one who killed his wife. Whether he succeeds in this and if he can save Love’s drugs from reaching the wrong hands forms the story of Iru Mugan.

With looks that yells machismo, Vikram fits the bill perfectly as the raw and rugged agent who would stop at nothing from succeeding his mission. Then there’s the Love character in which he showcases his acting prowess, something that he’s known for, with finesse and grace. The character which has an effeminate nature blended in him gives Vikram the space to deliver a stupendous performance. Though the expressions look repetitive after a while, he steals a couple of scenes with his stellar acting. Akilan character is something that most of the action heroes can pull off with ease but filling the shoes of Love looks like a herculean task and it’s something that looks custom made for Vikram and Vikram alone.

Nayanthara looks stylish as ever and her character which has to look both crude in serious scenes and angelic in the romantic sequences, is something that she carries off with ease. The sizzling chemistry between the lead roles is so perfect that it makes us wonder why they haven’t done a film together before. Nithya Menen too has a good role but her character lacks essence. Apart from the trio, Thambi Ramiah, as a Malaysian cop gets a good share of screen space. Though his role provides the comic relief, his acting reminds of his previous flicks. Karunakaran does a neat job even though his role is minuscule. Riythvika and Nasser’s roles could’ve been better.

R.D. Rajasekhar’s cinematography is outstanding and the close up shots of the leads in songs accentuates the chemistry between them. The stunts looks impressive and so does the chase sequences. Art direction and Costumes designer needs special mention too. Harris Jayaraj’s music have already turned out to be chart-busters. ‘Halena’ song looks spectacular while the rest of the songs break the flow of the film. The BGM though, looks jarred. Editing could’ve been finer as the second half looks draggy. Producer Shibu Thameens has left no stones unturned in making the film look grand.

Director Anand Shankar of Arima Nambi fame has once again given a shot in the action thriller genre and it’s obvious on the amount of research he has done for the sci-fi part of the story. He does leave us wishing that he has concentrated more on the story and screenpaly though. The twists aren’t unpredictable and the obvious ending doesn’t do justice to the first half that moves agile and interesting and not to mention the logical loopholes. The run time could’ve been cut short, especially in the second half, which would’ve made the film more racy.

Overall, Iru Mugan is the result of amazing performances and technical mastery with its fair share of flaws.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo