Skip to main content

Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada

Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada Review

Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada (AYM) is undoubtedly one of the most expected films of the year. Thanks to the success of Simbu and Gautham Menon’s previous venture, Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa, the stakes were high for this flick.

The story begins with a quick glimpse of an elderly couple getting attacked in Maharashtra. Back in Chennai, Simbu, fresh out of college, gets his hands on a bike to fulfill his desire to clock in a couple of miles on the open road. Manjima walks into his life as his sister’s friend who stays with Simbu’s family for a while owing to her project works. Just like in all Gautham films, Simbu falls for her at first sight and even without knowing Simbu’s name, she too develops a good rapport with him. This friendship thickens and when Simbu plans to hit the road on a long ride, Manjima volunteers to fill the back seat.

As they get closer, Simbu, who originally intends to cover S. India, decides to drop off Manjima at her hometown in Maharashtra. During the trip, the couple experience an accident and when Simbu recovers at the hospital, Manjima is no where to be found. A phone call explains what happened to her and that’s when the story, which was cruising till then, hits the top gear and puts the pedal to the metal.

Gautham Menon, who’s known for his breezy romantic flicks and gritty action packed entertainers, has tried his hand on delivering both bipolar genres together for the first time. The first half beautifully captures the blossoming love between the lead pair and one can’t help but feel the VTV touch which makes it more special. As always, Gautham scores with the romantic scenes. In the second half, the film takes a U – turn (quite literally) when Simbu decides to not run away from problems but face them head on, thereby making a reference to the film’s title.

The stylish director has clearly stepped out of his comfort zone and has made an effort to produce a film which would cater to audience of all centers. The ‘Mass’ factor takes the front seat when compared to his usual ‘Class’ feel and this is quite a surprising transition. While the action sequences do have their moments, they aren’t good enough to quench the thirst of a commercial film lover. What’s supposed to be a tensed second half gets cold past a point thereby giving the film a draggy feel in spite a not-so-long run time.

The performer Simbu is seen onscreen after a long time and he steals the show with his subtle yet powerful acting. Be it the romantic portions or the action ones, he transforms so naturally and feels comfortable doing so. There is also ample amount of mass scenes to satisfy his fans and he leaves us hoping to see more of him.

Manjima, though not new to cinema, has gotten into the shoes of a Tamil heroine for the first time and she has done justice to her role. Keeping in tradition with GVM’s flicks, the heroine is more than an eye candy and in this case, the story revolves around her. The lead pair looks fresh and shots of adoration developing between them are enjoyable. The rest of the cast have given exactly whats needed for the script.

A.R. Rahman’s songs are the film’s biggest plus. Even though all the songs are exhausted at the first half, it doesn’t make the story’s travel choppy. No matter what the scenario is, the Madras Mozart’s BGM amplifies the feel exponentially. After Yennai Arindhaal, Cinematographer Dan Macarthur is back in GVM’s camp and his visuals are a treat to watch. There are a number of surprise elements in the film and it overflows into the songs too. While Simbu has lent his voice for ‘Showkali’ theatrical version, the much awaited ‘Thalli Pogathey’ is captured in an atypical fashion, which is a product of gutsy direction. The fact that Simbu’s name isn’t mentioned till the climax is a slick move and the reveal will surely put a grin on anyone’s face. Dialogues by Gautham are enjoyable.

What doesn’t work is the lack of a powerful villain that could match the hero’s aptitude. The series of events in the climax is a complete shocker and preposterous. The way the untied knots are brought together in the end looks hurried and monotonous.

Overall, Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada sees Gautham traveling further away from his tried and tested formulae much more than what Simbu covers in his bike and what we end up with is a wannabe commercial film that could’ve been much better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo