Skip to main content

Ride 1 - Mudaliarkuppam Boat House, East Coast Road

Mister Madras Ride 1

Even though I’ve been riding ever since I learnt to ride my cousin sister’s good ol’ Sunny all those years back, I never knew there was a rider in me waiting to break out. There was always this aspiration to give racing a shot but never in a million years did plain riding ever cross my head. It all happened when I replaced my Yamaha R15 V2 with a Royal Enfield Classic 500 – Squadron Blue. Before I can even say ‘Bullet’, I have signed up for the V11 Intro drive organised by the V11 RERC.

Itinerary

The introductory breakfast ride was quite a simple and straightforward one. It was a trip to the Mudaliarkuppam Boat House followed by a breakfast stop at the Mamalla Beach Resort. The route taken too was pretty uncomplicated.

What’s new

Considering this was our first time, literally every single thing was new. For starters, the bike was new. To make sure this ride happens, I had to get the RE serviced even before it’s first service which is usually done after 500 kms. I knew that this is the ride where I’m going to learn what’s the ‘must haves’ for a rider so I had no shame in standing out as a newbie. Fortunately, thanks to the fact that almost everyone there were new, I wasn’t the ugly duckling. In the name of accessories, I only had my Classic Jet Camo Open Face helmet and my favourite Buff Headgear.

What actually happened…

We started from our start point which happened to be the Velavan Royal Enfield Showroom in Greams Road. After taking the Madhya Kailash route, we connected to the Old Mahabalipuram Road a.k.a. OMR. While the techies of our city were enjoying their pixelated dreams, we raced past OMR towards Mahabs.

Post that we zoomed for a while following which we reached our spot, the Mudaliarkuppam Boat House, East Coast Road.

While we lazed around and settled in the abandoned-ish looking yet functioning boats and blown up banana floats, we were accompanied by a gang of KTM riders and it was a sight to behold.

img-20160807-wa0001-copy

After spending a while there, we got back on the roads and this time we stopped to capture the moments, the first of many to come.

mister-madras-mudaliarkuppam-15 mister-madras-mudaliarkuppam-11

On the way back, we stopped at Mamalla Beach Resort for a quick breakfast. The decent looking resort was spacious with a not-so-bad spread and obviously, the foodie in me was more than awake to check out what was available. It was also the perfect opportunity to chill with the folks and getting to know each other. After all, what can unite guys more than bikes and a couple of toasts along with omelettes and coffee in a calm early morning.

And that was how our introductory breakfast rolled and post a couple more rides the group has now evolved into a biking family that’s always hungry to conquer more tarmac as we ride over it.

I ended the ride with the same grin as I have right now as I’m typing this down as in both instances, my mind voice goes, “Ithu chumma trailer thaan ma, main picture innimel thaan”. Stay tuned to more posts on our future rides. There’s much more on it’s way, as by the time you’re seeing this, we’ve done 3 more rides.

And this is how I figured out that there’s a rider in me and I’m glad I found him in the time I needed a stress-buster the most. Couldn’t have asked for anything better….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

InterContinental Mahabalipuram

After visiting InterContinental many times to meet people who were staying there, for events & functions and for, of course, dining in, I decided it was high time I experienced a stay at this property. A while back, it happened and here I’m chronicling that experience.  Location, Reception and First Impressions InterContinental Mahabalipuram stands among a handful of star properties that are located close to Mamallapuram but not exactly inside the bustling town. It’s situated on the ever-busy East Coast Road and is a cool 42kms away from Central Chennai and almost the same distance from the Chennai International Airport as well (yes, I checked). Post the ‘vanakkam’ by the security personnel who greets you right at the gate, the first thing one would notice about ICC is how simple and elegant it is. Once you get past the security checks, you’re welcomed by the sky and a long pathway and standing on the edge of it gives us a bird’s-eye view of the property. The reception is a high ro