Skip to main content

Dhuruvangal Pathinaaru

Dhuruvangal pathinaaru Dhuruvangal 16 D16 review Mister madras

Very rarely does a murder mystery thriller hold the audience’s mind captive and after quite a long time Dhuruvangal Pathinaaru does exactly that. In an industry that’s rusted by commercial cop flicks that shows the lead shouting on top of his voice and giving Sherlock Holmes a run for their money with their investigation skills, debutante Karthik Naren has delivered a convincing flick in the form of Dhuruvangal Pathinaaru.

Deepak (Rahman), a retired cop, opens about a case that made him redundant, to an aspiring IPS officer. In a series of flashbacks, he recalls the day when he received news on a suicide case which was followed by another case of a young girl missing. While it’s obvious that the two cases are going to conjoin and Deepak with his constable, a new recruit, almost zeroes on the culprit behind it,  fate has it that they aren’t able to nab that person, nor close the case. Why wasn’t there a full stop to this case forms the plot of Dhuruvangal Pathinaaru.

Rahman, who was last seen in this year’s Kuttrame Thandanai, can be called as someone who’s got an impeccable talent of picking up scripts and roles that fit him like a tee. Credit has to be given to him for being a crew member to a project which is guided by a captain who’s in his early 20s. Being the only recognizable face in the film’s main cast, he brings in the star value and experience to the table which would’ve lacked in his absence.

As the title hints, the film can be viewed in different perceptions and Rahman amplifies that thought in the last shot where he says if another person had said the same story, the characterizations of the roles would’ve differed. The real hero of the film, Karthik Naren has made an edge-of-the-seat thriller without giving in to any commercial aspects such as unwanted heroism or out-of-the-blue song shots. He also scores in giving us a glimpse of how the police work as a system, minus the second-to-none leak-proof executions that commercial films have made us believe. His characterization of Rahman too is legitimate as a cop who makes mistakes, forgets important things and wouldn’t mind getting inputs from someone under his pay-scale. A straight-forward story has been made interesting with twist after twists and this is where he shines thanks to the way in which the script has been executed and all the minor details which we might look down to ends up playing a major factor in the end when the knots get undone.

As far as the talented crew is concerned, the brothers Sujith Sarang and Sreejith Sarang steal the show. Sujith’s Cinematography with the colors he has used sets the mood for this thriller and his shots in the rain sequence, which plays a pivotal role in the film, is spectacular. Sreejith, on the other hand, is the editor of D 16 and his razor-sharp cuts play a major role in making the film crisp without many dull moments to kill the momentum. Jakes Bejoy’s background score also enhances the thriller feel of the flick. The rest of the cast too have done what’s required for the script without dwelling into the zone of over-acting.

D 16 does have its fair share of flaws. A couple of logical loopholes are apparent. While the director’s confidence to not tread upon the path of spoon-feeding the audience is praiseworthy, a couple of scenes could’ve been explained more for laymen’s better understanding. Rahman’s Tamil pronunciations could’ve been better too.

Despite the minor drawbacks, D 16 is an engaging thriller that has marked the debut of a promising director to Tamil cinema.

My rating: 3.75/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo