Skip to main content

Bahubali 2: The Conclusion

The most expected movie of the year is here and it can’t get any bigger than this. Baahubali 1 (Baahubali: The Beginning) made it pretty clear that the motive was not to go huge on budget but to go higher on quality and Baahubali 2 (Baahubali: The Conclusion) reaffirms it. While I was seeing reviews across social media with the words in caps stating ‘Spoiler free review’, I was wondering what’s there to spoil in this film. Those who had watched the first part giving importance to the ‘not so important’ scenes and grasping the dialogues would know exactly how this sequel will end. And that’s exactly what happens. So what’s the fuss about a film that can be easily be brushed below the carpet like a few specs of small stones as yet another good-wins-over-evil flick? Those stones we’re talking about are precious gems that now adorns the crown of Indian cinema. Long story short, it’s the presentation, the quality, the magnitude and the sheer size of this project makes it the biggest film in recent years.

The plot is very simple. The film begins from where the first part ended, Katappa (Sathyaraj) continuing the flashback of Baahubali (Prabhas) to the latter’s son Shivudu (Prabhas again). He tells him how his father married Maharani Devasena (Anushka) and ended up as a foe to his brother Pallvalthevan (Rana). He also ‘reveals’ why he had to kill Baahubali himself, thereby putting a rest to the ‘Why Katappa killed Baahubali’ question. Post that how Shivudu takes revenge on his uncle forms the rest of the plot.

The film is obviously huge in magnitude and as Rajamouli had stated in previous interviews, apart from a few scenes, it’s hard to fathom what’s VFX and what’s real. Despite being so, the actors still shine with their performance. I loved Prabhas in the first part for the way he showed differences in both the characters. While Shivudu was a simple young man who’s getting to know things that are going to change his life, Baahubali is a man who knows exactly who he is and had his own style and mannerisms. This continues in Baahubali 2 too and you can’t help but adore the Baahubali character. Rana fits in perfectly once again as the antagonist and despite being a hero in his own rights in the Telugu industry, the sheer villain-ism he brings to the table is something terrific. Anushka steals the show in the flashback sequences and it’s been a while since she was shown this beautiful in recent times. Both Ramya Krishnan and Sathyaraj get more screen time in this film and they prove once again on why they’re veterans in the industry.

Rajamouli succeeds in a number of things as far as this franchise is concerned. Casting is what we can start with. While it looks intentional to choose actors from different languages to cater to the Pan-Indian audience, he has chosen the best of the lot and there are no weaklings whatsoever in the cast. He’s a master story teller and what sets him apart is his ability to include small sequences that ends up becoming jaw dropping scenes in what would be a predictable shot. Sabu Cyril proves to be the master with the production design and VFX does the rest of the job neatly. The screenplay is written in such a way that the film’s pace slowly gains momentum to end in a spectacular finish. A few directorial touches is the icing on the much decorated cake that provoked a smile on the face of film lovers like me.

Just like the previous film in this franchise, the first half starts slow and the story takes its time to unravel. The difference between the two must be the fact that while the first was a commercial war/action film, this one is much more dramatic, emotional and rooted. Despite having less action sequences, whatever’s there is mind blowing.

The film isn’t flawless. Some VFX shots could’ve been better. Apart from the ‘Bale Bale Bale Baahubali’ track in the voice of the legendary Daler Mahndi, none of the other songs sound worth remembering. Such a big film having lip-sync issues was quite disheartening. The film should’ve at least had a ‘U/A’ certificate rather than the ‘U’ that it has got. While the director has taken his creative liberty in a few scenes and considering the genre they’re acceptable, some are just too unbelievable. Probably expecting a little bit of logic in this genre proves my silliness but don’t even get me started on that scene where soldiers catapult themselves to the top of the castle using trees.

Overall, Baahubali: The Conclusion doesn’t just live up to the expectation but also surpasses it. The way it’s taken easily blinds away the minute issues in the film making it an enjoyable watch.

My rating:- 3.75/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo