Skip to main content

Meesaya Murukku

With a few biggies releasing this Friday, the choice for the audience is finally a plenty after quite a while. I honestly didn’t have many expectations when I sat down to watch the press show of Meesaya Murukku, Hiphop Tamizha Aadhi’s acting and directorial debut. That’s probably the reason the film pleasantly shocked me.

The film captures the life of a regular guy who finished school and enters an engineering college. There’s the usual gang of friends who help him with love and help us with humour, there are the dreaded seniors who rag for the sake of it and of course, there’s love too. But that’s where the similarities stop. Meesaya Murukku is fresh in its approach to a rather simple story of how an underdog faces embarrassments, failures, and pain to rise to the top at the end. The film can part be called as Aadhi’s biography and his narration of the path he walked through has been given in the most entertaining way possible.

Meesaya Murukku works thanks to its simplicity and the fact that audience can connect with it on a personal level. The scenes are convincing and people will find more than one scene relatable which will definitely put a smile on their face. The cast is almost new sans the veteran comedian Vivekh who has played the role of an adorable father. The lead pair Aadhi and Aathmika look good and even though the chemistry between them fails to click, the scenes are convincing. Aathmika is a good find to Tamil cinema and with the added advantage of being a pucca Tamil ponnu, she’s got everything that takes to make it big. The captain of the ship Aadhi has done an excellent job as a director and things can’t get any better for a debutant. Though the songs he uses in the film are predominantly his old compositions that made him what he is today, they’re still enjoyable. They’re actually even better than the new songs he has composed for this film in particular. But the actor in him needs to do more as he fails to emote in crucial sequences. He makes up to it with the mass appeal which ends usually with a cool twirl of his mustache.

The supporting cast is a huge pillar of support for the film and knowing the pulse of the youth and also knowing that he alone cannot share the burden, Aadhi has got in a horde of YouTube stars we know and love. The jokes are enjoyable and will surely make you giggle many times. And making use of this opportunity, the young cast and crew have given their best to make their mark.

The film does have its share of drawbacks too. Songs are aplenty and after the first few, the rest start disrupting the film’s flow. In a rather fast paced screenplay, there are a few scenes that hinder it. Cinematography could’ve been better despite the fact that the script as such doesn’t give much scope for it.

Overall, Meesaya Murukku is a dream debut that will definitely entertain you and make it worth the ticket price (plus GST). And oh, don’t miss the post credit scene 🙂

Check out my review on The New Indian Express soon….

My rating: 3.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo