Skip to main content

Vellai Illa Pattathari 2

Tamil cinema’s recent trend has been to cash in on the success of a film with a sequel. While there are films such as Baahubali which were decided to be made as two parts, film-makers and actors who need a hit badly opt for the easy route of making a sequel out of the blue. VIP 2 joins the list of such films as a story has been weaved to another story that had a satisfactory ending which, the makers would’ve considered as a safer bet.

Vellai Illa Pattathari 2 follows the trials and tribulations of Raghuvaran (Dhanush) who’s now married and finds him once again to become a VIP (a jobless engineer i.e). And obviously, a villain has to be introduced to make our lead the ‘hero’ and there enters Kajol, making her comeback to the Tamil industry after more than 2 decades. She looks fabulous and steals the show with her reactions despite being pitted against the hero. Where the films work is how they’ve written Kajol’s character – someone who isn’t evil but has a different mindset. Getting to Dhanush, Raghuvaran seems to be one of his best characters ever as he feels very natural in the boy-next-door image. While he brings the mass factor in a few scenes, some ‘gethu’ scenes don’t work and we often had to watch him utter a punch dialogue to Kajol and walk again in slow motion towards the cam. Not to mention the umpteen Thirukurals used as punch dialogues.

Amala Paul has very little to offer as her character is often used to evoke laughter with the husband-wife fight comedy. Talking about it, despite sounding like jokes from a Tamil magazine, they predominantly work and manages to make us chuckle. Samuthirakani’s role is now that of a mellowed down dad and he pulls it off perfectly – so much that we wish he had some more screen space. The other person whom we wish we saw more was Vivekh. That man deserves it.

One of the major pluses of the film is the fact that they’ve stayed loyal to the original script and have made sure they keep the essence of it. The Mofo bike, Harry Potter (Raghu’s dog) and much more help in retaining the original’s flavour. The first installment’s music was a huge pillar of support for the film and to be honest, Sean Rolden couldn’t create the magic Anirudh did. The crowd erupts when the background score of the original film is used and that shows how much of a success it is. It’s also the reason why the punch lines and action sequences don’t create an impact. The songs too aren’t worth remembering. They also stick to some cliche dialogues such as “Yaaru da avan, annan an thambi ah,” only to get an answer such as “friend’u.” While the climax evoked different opinions from many, I personally liked how they finished the film.

Overall, VIP 2 is a mediocre attempt to cash in on the success of its predecessor. While the characters work, the story and screenplay is very predictable and offers nothing much new to the audience. At the end of it, I wish there was a Thirukural that said not to do sequels if there isn’t a reason for it.

My rating for VIP 2 – 3/5

Vellai Illa Patthathari 2 Trailer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo