Skip to main content

Gulebagavali

Cast: Prabhudheva, Hansika, Revathi
Director: Kalyaan S

The quirky promos and a promising trailer gave me a shot of expectations for the Prabhudheva starrer Gulaebaghavali. After all, it’s not every Friday we get a film on a treasure hunting adventure. The first ten minutes too was something that upped the antics, with the flashback of a poor kanakupillai who manages to steal a box full of diamonds from his white boss. But then, the credits rolled and as the film played, I sunk into my seat further, hoping for a miracle to happen which never happened.

We all know that Prabhudheva can dance, but this film proves once again that he’s the best in the business and also leaves you to ponder on why he didn’t do this on screen for so many years. It’s definitely a treat to the eyes. In this film, he is paired with Hansika who he introduced in his directorial Engeyum Kadhal and was last seen in his productional venture Bogan. The actress, who needs a good film, ends up adding no value to this film apart from appearing in skimpy costumes that are often used for humour relief. But the real star of the film is Revathi who plays Masha. Yes, the same character she played in the 1990 film Arangetra Velai. After a beautiful comeback with last year’s Pa Paandi, this film should’ve been the one that brings the veteran actor back to limelight but thanks to a below par script, the chances of that happening looks slim.

Being a film on treasure hunt, the film should’ve been about the adventures of the gang as they get closer to their booty but what we’re left with is a bunch of characters who, to get their hands on the treasure first do a number of silly things. There are fortunately a few funny moments that leave us sporting a smile, they aren’t enough to save us from this experience. Despite having a stellar cast of comedians ranging from Yogi Babu to Rajendran, the director hasn’t used them to their potential. Instead, we get to see Sathyan running around in his underwear. Our hero too ‘tries’ to woo Hansika a lot – by touching her constantly against her wish and using the worst pickup lines in history. “Nee gummunu irukka, so unna Ammu nu koopudren,” he says in a scene. I was stuck in an aisle corner if not would have I banged my head on the wall!

The film never gets you hooked on to it and there’s never an edge-of-the-seat moment, something this genre warrants. What we’re left with is an uninteresting flick that makes even its short runtime look long. A two-hour music video of Prabhudheva dancing would’ve been a much better watch!

Rating: 1.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

InterContinental Mahabalipuram

After visiting InterContinental many times to meet people who were staying there, for events & functions and for, of course, dining in, I decided it was high time I experienced a stay at this property. A while back, it happened and here I’m chronicling that experience.  Location, Reception and First Impressions InterContinental Mahabalipuram stands among a handful of star properties that are located close to Mamallapuram but not exactly inside the bustling town. It’s situated on the ever-busy East Coast Road and is a cool 42kms away from Central Chennai and almost the same distance from the Chennai International Airport as well (yes, I checked). Post the ‘vanakkam’ by the security personnel who greets you right at the gate, the first thing one would notice about ICC is how simple and elegant it is. Once you get past the security checks, you’re welcomed by the sky and a long pathway and standing on the edge of it gives us a bird’s-eye view of the property. The reception is a high ro

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed