Skip to main content

Thaanaa Serndha Koottam

Cast: Suriya, Keerthy Suresh, Ramya Krishnan, Senthil
Director: Vignesh Shivn

You’ve got to hand it to Vignesh Shivn for one reason – give him the most serious actor and he’ll make him someone who can get anyone to smile. Post a number of serious films such as the Singam series, Suriya is back to his days of Sanjay Ramasamy. The man has aged like wine and it’s obvious that he has loosened up a lot. I have fortunately not watched the Akshay starrer Special 26 and had zero expectations. But then came the promo and teaser of Thaanaa Serndha Koottam (the a distant remake of the Hindi film) which showed it to be a heist film and that’s where the disappointment begins as TSK isn’t a heist film at all.

Set in the late 80s, TSK has unemployment as the theme but instead of taking the route of Sathya or Varumayin Niram Sivappu, the film concentrates on a bunch of people who are unemployed. Suriya looks tailor-made for his role of Naachinaarkiniyan. As I said before, the man sports a cool smile throughout the film – something we didn’t really get to see him in his last few films. Keerthy has a minuscule role and doesn’t bring much to the table apart from the regular chuckles. The characters I loved in TSK should be Ramya Krishnan’s Azhagu Meena and Karthik’s Kurunjivendhan. While the former has shed her Baahubali image for a beautiful role of a family’s breadwinner who’d go to any lengths for it, the latter is a ruthless official who, I wish, had more screen time. It was a pleasure to see Senthil again on the big screen and Vignesh brings back the nostalgia with references to the veteran’s petromax and vazhaipalam comedies.

Though the film could’ve been a serious take on an issue that could’ve very well ended with a lengthy dialogue in the climax, the director has opted for a simple take that doesn’t warrant any seriousness. That said, the film doesn’t have anything new to bring a sense of awe to the audience and it leaves us with a been-there-seen-that feel throughout the runtime. Be it the small ‘transformations’ or the ‘twists’, they don’t make the impact they should’ve as the premise to make them a huge reveal is never made. The film though has its moments – predominantly in the form of one-liners and situational comedy. In one scene, a CBI aspirant says she wants to curb corruption and black money in the society and when asked her name, she says it’s Sasikala! The extended cameo of RJ Balaji is a blast, only making us wish we got to see him as much as what we did in the director’s previous film – Naanum Rowdy Thaan.

The technical prowess this film has is definitely noteworthy. Kiran’s art direction is stunning as bringing the 80s Chennai city on screen is no joke. The Mount Road set, complete with the LIC building, was mindblowing, to say the least. The costumes too are top notch and vibrant use of bright colours deliver a sense of freshness. Though it’s not even close to his best albums, Anirudh makes it up with the background score.

What didn’t work for me was they could’ve stuck to the chillaxed backseat storytelling fashion they predominantly followed instead of making Suriya look like a saviour for those around him. That’s a serious territory and since we have the film rather grazing in that zone, shots of a lot of Shankar’s films cross our minds. There’s even a scene where some unknown cops help Suriya out of a sticky situation because they are the ones who got their jobs because of Suriya. Though being the best of this Pongal’s releases, TSK could’ve been a much better film if it had stuck to its jovial tone and not succumb to the star power of its lead. That said, this is a Suriya we would love to see more off in the times to come.

Rating: 2.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo