Skip to main content

Yakiniku, Hyatt Regency

Area:- Teynampet, Anna Salai
Cost for two:- ₹2,500
Cuisine:- Japanese

And my quest to find Chennai’s restaurants that dish out amazing Japanese cuisine recently brought me to a place closer to home. Literally, considering it’s just a walk away from my house — Hyatt Regency. Their latest restaurant Yakiniku is the only one I hadn’t been to and thanks to an invite for their new menu, that’s ticked off my list too. I was recently here to check out a couple of dishes that they’ve added to their already rocking menu. I got to try a bit of everything they had to offer and incidentally, they’ve tweaked the menu in such a way that all segments of it got a few dishes added to it. Here are what I tried and how they ended up being.

Inari Potato Salad

To be honest, a salad was wrapped with tofu the last dish I expected to try in a Japanese restaurant despite being a fan of the usual salads their cuisine serves. The wrapping consisted of compltely mashed potatoes and this cold salad tasted similar to coleslaw when had as whole.

Mochi

That’s right, a savory mochi — a first for me too. I’m a fan of the sweet variant and the fact that it’s so hard to find them in Chennai makes me crave for them often, but this mochi served with mushroom sauce and shimeji mushrooms. As a fan of mushrooms, I loved this dish and the sauce which was packed with flavors added the perfect kick to this dish.

Soba Sushi

You know how much importance I give to vegetarian food when you can see that I haven’t even taken a picture of this dish. But that doesn’t mean, it isn’t something you shouldn’t fancy. As the name implies, this vegetarian sushi includes buckwheat noodles along with the regular veg sushi fillings such as cucumber and greens.

Tempura Maki

And now you’re talking! Probably the most well known — thanks to being westernized — tempura maki is also the most common form of sushis eaten and obviously, it’s super delicious. Topped with fried crumbs and filled with prawn tempura (which is an amazing Japanese snack on its own), this dish is a treat to any sushi lover like me.

Tofu Steak

I’ve never tried a sizzler in a Japanese restaurant and these dishes were truly a surprise to me. The vegetarian variant had large chunks of tofu along with their mushroom sauce and shimeji mushroom pieces, served alongside miso soup and rice. Though it was pretty good, it would’ve been better if the tofu chunks had been smaller in size.

Yakiniku Beef

The non-vegetarian variant of the sizzler plate had sliced beef along with onions. Though the sauce complemented the perfectly cooked beef slices, the onions were overpowering. Nevertheless, along with plain rice, it was good.

Chicken Udon

I wasn’t going to complete a meal at a Japanese restaurant without trying their udon. I personally love udon compared to regular noodles thanks to their thickness and it also makes it a perfect pick for noodle soups. The one we got had chicken in it but the noodles was so good that I didn’t really care about the meat. Talk about slupy goodness!

Garlic Fried Rice

Yet another victim of not being photographed as the photographer is a mean carnivore. To be honest, my expectations were very low considering the lack of meat in it, but the Garlic Fried Rice ended up being actually one of the best dishes we had that evening. The strong garlic flavour was just brilliant and it was one of those rare rice dishes which doesn’t actually need a side.

Azuki Beans, Mochi and Ice Cream

Taking a modern twist on the good old mochi, what we had was more of a deconstructed version served with small discs of mochi topped with Azuki beans and ice cream along with a shower of matcha dust. Though the small mochi pieces felt out of place, the perfectly cooked beans and the ice cream were just an awesome combination which made it one of the simple yet best desserts I’ve had in recent times.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience at Yakiniku, Hyatt Regency. Serving a cuisine that’s often stereotyped with just sushi rolls, this restaurant strives to introduce their delicacies with a twist. With more options added for vegetarians, Japanese food is predominantly seafood is a statement my vegetarian friends can’t say anymore if they head to Yakiniku.

Address:Hyatt Regency, 365, Anna Salai, Teynampet, Chennai
Telephone:044 61001234
Timings:6:30PM to 11PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Munna Bhai Dhaba, Sullurpet, Andhra Pradesh

  This time, we rode almost 100 kms to discover this hidden gem. Located at the ever busy NH16, Munna Bhai Dhaba is one of those places that dishes out some delicious food for you to cherish en route to your destination. Just that, this time it was our destination. After starting at 8:30PM from Chennai, we reached here around 10ish and by that time some items were unfortunately sold out. Out of 10, 6 of us were hardcore carnivores while the rest of them were Eggetarians. We opted for a couple of Chicken dishes which included Munna Bhai special chicken (a yummy starter with sauteed chicken and cashews) and a couple more Chicken dishes which are named after the states of our country. One such dish was the which had an egg base with piping hot Chicken curry on top which was the star of our dinner. A surprise show-stealer was the Onion Pakoda which looked bleh but tasted great. Rotis were so warm and fluffy that we finished 40 of them in no time. Egg Bhurji was apparently good too. Obvious

InterContinental Mahabalipuram

After visiting InterContinental many times to meet people who were staying there, for events & functions and for, of course, dining in, I decided it was high time I experienced a stay at this property. A while back, it happened and here I’m chronicling that experience.  Location, Reception and First Impressions InterContinental Mahabalipuram stands among a handful of star properties that are located close to Mamallapuram but not exactly inside the bustling town. It’s situated on the ever-busy East Coast Road and is a cool 42kms away from Central Chennai and almost the same distance from the Chennai International Airport as well (yes, I checked). Post the ‘vanakkam’ by the security personnel who greets you right at the gate, the first thing one would notice about ICC is how simple and elegant it is. Once you get past the security checks, you’re welcomed by the sky and a long pathway and standing on the edge of it gives us a bird’s-eye view of the property. The reception is a high ro