Skip to main content

Ride 3 - Horsley Hills

With the foundation for a lovely team laid, it didn’t take us long to plan our first long ride. So in September of 2016, about 5 Himalayans, 5 Classics, and 2 Thunderbirds took to the roads and our destination was Horsley Hills in Andhra Pradesh.

Itinerary

This ride was yet another straight-forward one. This time, we started from Velavan Motors Alwartirunagar branch and reached the almost 300 km Horsley Hills.

What’s new

After spending more than a month’s salary on basic gears that I wore for the last mini ride, I had gotten accustomed to it by this ride. To top it off, I bought a ViaTerra Magnetic Bag. Though I can’t find it now in their website, whatever I’ve linked is the same bag with additional compartments for DSLR and this can be removed from the bag thereby making it a regular one too. Tankbags are easily one of the most efficient and easy ways of carrying luggage and this one fits in enough for a two-day trip. I wish I can say that I travel light but that’s the exact opposite to what I’m. So if this bag can do wonders for me for a weekend getaway, it’ll suit anyone of you.

What actually happened…

It was quite a simple trip. We reached Horsley hills easily around noon – right on time for lunch. We stayed at a simple hotel without many facilities, but hey, it’s just a dozen guys, what more do we need? There was a common room which doubled as the meeting spot where we spent almost the entire night.

The only place we got to check out was Gali Bandalu aka Wind Rocks – a rocky slope that gets its name from the heavy winds. In the early mornings, the place is covered completely with mist and the road leading to this place too, which seems to have been newly laid, makes it a lovely piece of tarmac to ride in.

Overall, it was yet another amazing ride where the team got to bond even more and as expected, it led to thousands of kilometers of us riding together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Munna Bhai Dhaba, Sullurpet, Andhra Pradesh

  This time, we rode almost 100 kms to discover this hidden gem. Located at the ever busy NH16, Munna Bhai Dhaba is one of those places that dishes out some delicious food for you to cherish en route to your destination. Just that, this time it was our destination. After starting at 8:30PM from Chennai, we reached here around 10ish and by that time some items were unfortunately sold out. Out of 10, 6 of us were hardcore carnivores while the rest of them were Eggetarians. We opted for a couple of Chicken dishes which included Munna Bhai special chicken (a yummy starter with sauteed chicken and cashews) and a couple more Chicken dishes which are named after the states of our country. One such dish was the which had an egg base with piping hot Chicken curry on top which was the star of our dinner. A surprise show-stealer was the Onion Pakoda which looked bleh but tasted great. Rotis were so warm and fluffy that we finished 40 of them in no time. Egg Bhurji was apparently good too. Obvious

InterContinental Mahabalipuram

After visiting InterContinental many times to meet people who were staying there, for events & functions and for, of course, dining in, I decided it was high time I experienced a stay at this property. A while back, it happened and here I’m chronicling that experience.  Location, Reception and First Impressions InterContinental Mahabalipuram stands among a handful of star properties that are located close to Mamallapuram but not exactly inside the bustling town. It’s situated on the ever-busy East Coast Road and is a cool 42kms away from Central Chennai and almost the same distance from the Chennai International Airport as well (yes, I checked). Post the ‘vanakkam’ by the security personnel who greets you right at the gate, the first thing one would notice about ICC is how simple and elegant it is. Once you get past the security checks, you’re welcomed by the sky and a long pathway and standing on the edge of it gives us a bird’s-eye view of the property. The reception is a high ro