Skip to main content

Incredibles 2

Cast: Samuel L Jackson, Craig T Nelson, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowell, Huck Milner
Director: Brad Bird

The longest gap between film sequels came courtesy the Bambi franchise — a staggering 64 years. Though the Incredibles sequel, which is also produced by Walt Disney Pictures, took 14 years to hit the screens, we’re not complaining. A lot of us who watched the first film as kids are now adults and Incredibles 2, apart from being a fun film in its own right, is a lovely trip down memory lane.

In the film, however, not much time has gone by and the events of the sequel happen just three months after the defeat of Syndrome. The superhero work of our unconventional but happy Parr family consisting of Bob, Helen, Dash, Violet, and Jack-Jack, has hit a roadblock after Supers (as superheroes are called), are misunderstood as troublemakers and are forced to return to their secret identities. A super-rich sibling duo Winston and Evelyn Deavor, similar to Ray from Hancock, wants the world to see Supers in a better light and they get in touch with the Parrs to give the latter an image makeover. They kickstart the project with Elastigirl aka Helen (voiced by Holly Hunter) and that means Bob (Craig T Nelson) has to swallow his male ego and be a stay-at-home dad. While he realises how that’s tougher than fighting crime, Helen carries on her superhero work with a bit of PR help, but obviously, there’s got to be a villain. That comes in the form of Screenslaver, whom the family, with the help of a few more Supers, have to defeat.

Though the one-liner might sound simple, the intricacies brought in by director Brad Bird with ample easter eggs and pop culture references make up for it. For instance, Dash (Huck Milner) says, ‘It defines who I am,’ which is similar to what Batman says in Batman Begins, and he also watches Godzilla as well as the classic Jonny Quest cartoon on TV. Gazerbeam, whose dead body guides Bob/Mr Incredible in the first part, appears in the sequel in a flashback. But the biggest, somewhat expected and satisfying easter egg was after the climax —  finding the letters A113 — the classroom number of animation students at the California Institute of the Arts, many of whom are working now in Pixar, which is a standard egg that appears in all Pixar films.

The villain, though he only has a limited screen time, is well thought out. Screenslaver puts people watching TV in a trance. He talks about how we’ve fallen prey to consumerism and instead of, for example, traveling, we’re watching travel shows. Looks like the Pixar is learning a few tricks of the trade from the Marvel side of Disney. And while we’re on Screenslaver, a word of caution — scenes in which he appears come with a good dose of strong strobe lights which might affect those who have epilepsy.

Incredibles 2 also digs deep into the Parr family, and their sentiments and emotions, without restricting itself to the bigger picture as its predecessor. So instead of high flying action, we get scenes of Bob helping his daughter Violet (Sarah Vowell) with her love life and Dash with something even tougher, mathematics. Not to mention the scenes where he also tries to come to terms with the numerous superpowers of Jack-Jack. And apart from Samuel L Jackson as Lucius Best/Frozone, there’s also Edna Mode — such a fan-favorite that the director himself has voiced her. Throw in a few more quirky Supers, a not-too-heavy dose of feminism, and a supercar named Incredimobile (similar to the Batmobile) and we have the perfect recipe for a fun sequel.

What doesn’t work is the aforementioned lack of action and a simple storyline which takes its own sweet time to unravel. Also, considering the emotional aspects of a family the film talks about, it doesn’t even get close to what a Toy Story or even a Wall E did. But that doesn’t take away the fact that Incredibles 2, though not as good as the original film, is an almost worthy sequel that will satisfy the expectations of the 90s kids, who loved Incredibles, as well as millennials, who are new to the franchise. Looks like the film will have a third part, and hopefully, it doesn’t take another 14 years.

Rating: 3.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo