Skip to main content

Ride 6 - Yercaud

With 2017 starting with our longest ride yet in the form of BOBMC 2017 Kundapura, Karnataka, we decided to take a short trip nearby and that’s when we sat to discuss. After running by a few names which are known for to be just a few hours from Chennai, we decided on Yercaud. One of the closest hill stations from our city, Yercaud is one of those developing hills that’s yet to get the surplus tourist crowd. I’ve been here already and I’ll write a blog on it soon too.

Itinerary

As always, we couldn’t just head from Point A to Point B, can we? 😛 Being a gang of foodies, we had planned on touching the famous UBM Mess in Perundurai which is not just past our destination Yercaud but also past Salem and Erode. The things we do for good food! So post lunch, we headed back on the same route before taking a detour near Salem and climbing up Yercaud.

What’s new

This time it was more of a cosmetic change to the machine rather than an actual investment. I replaced the headlight casing with a metal grill. The story goes that during war times when REs’ were used for transport, the bikes were used in rugged terrains and such metal grills protected the headlights getting hit by small stones or other rubble.

I found it to be not just a piece of lovely history but also a slick piece of accessory that accentuates the chrome fittings. I got it from Noor Automobiles in Puthupet, Chennai and I also got it fixed there itself.

What actually happened

I remember how this ride was during a phase where most of us were extremely busy with our lives and we just needed to destress our self. It was planned as a weekend trip and we started on a Saturday from Chennai.

After starting early, we reached UBM Mess in Perundurai by late noon. We were worried as it quite late in the noon and we thought we were not going to be served. Thankfully, there was a huge crowd waiting for their turn and fate has it that we had to wait more than an hour to get our place. That’s not surprising considering we were a dozen in number.

Unlike most of our rides, we didn’t spend much time in sight-seeing in Yercaud. After all, we had only a day and that too was spent riding along the picturesque views. It’s quite surprising that I didn’t even take any pictures there. One of our friends booked a dormitory in Yercaud which was perfect for the 12 of us and we spent the night in the cold outdoors next to a bonfire. What could get better than a night full of awesome stories, booze and laughter?

While coming back, a fellow riding friend met with an accident which resulted in him hurting his knee. His bike too had quite a few damaged rendering it almost useless to ride. Thankfully, the villagers came for help and we left his bike in one of the villagers’ house. The injured friend got onto my bike as a pillion and we admitted him to a nearby town’s hospital from where he was discharged later that night. By then, those who had work the next day, which happened to be a Monday. Another friend and I were the ones who stayed back and after the discharge, we got a cab to drop him in Chennai. By the time we got back to Chennai, it was late evening, but boy, wasn’t that an experience.

The villagers were extremely helpful and they even called me to check on my friend. My pal too, once he got alright, went back to their place with a box of sweets to thank them for their help. As far as the bike is concerned, thanks to a few contacts, we got the nearest Royal Enfield showroom to pick the bike up and get it repaired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo