Skip to main content

Sandakozhi 2

Cast: Vishal, Rajkiran, Keerthy Suresh, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar
Director: Lingusamy

Sequels in Tamil cinema seems to be the fad and what the underwhelming history has proven is that sequels are an easier bet when compared to a fresh script, especially if an actor or a director is in dire need of a hit. Considering Vishal’s last film Irumbu Thirai is his most successful yet, it’s no surprise that Sandakozhi 2 is more of a comeback to its director Lingusamy, whose last film four years backs, Anjaan, was nothing short of a fiasco.

As someone who loves it focus on a few details, I tend to compare how many years have passed in a sequel film since its original film to real time. Though the original Sandakozhi came out in 2005, in Sandakozhi 2, it’s only been seven years since the incidents of the first part. Nothing much has changed in the lives of Balu (Vishal) and Durai Ayya (Rajkiran) apart from Balu’s girlfriend from the original film, not being a part of his life anymore for reasons which aren’t clearly explained. This time the threat comes in the form of Pechi (Varu) and her family for a frivolous reason that’s blown out of proportion.

Similar to the original film, the actual story is pretty thin and hence, we get to see more of the lead’s family and what they mean to the people around them. A number of scenes reestablish the fact that Durai Ayya is still the deciding factor for the 7 villages in Theni. Instead of the simple yet satisfying scenes such as the one where Balu spends time in Hema’s (Meera Jasmine) house in the first film, we’re rather introduced to the core story immediately. For the lighter moments, we’re left with Sembaruthi (Keerthy Suresh), a loud-mouthed simpleton who doesn’t need much convincing to start dancing out of nowhere. Her over the top persona, which often touches the border of annoyance, seems to be an extension of Hema’s character, which sort of explains why Balu is drawn towards her at the first place. And oh there’s also the ‘she doesn’t know his true identity and considers him to be an average joe’ track. Talk about showing us something we’ve never seen! Moreover, what’s with Balu having a thing for daughters of teachers? Varu’s character, on the other hand, seems to be more of an extension of every other villainess in Tamil cinema. She’s extremely loud, vents enough anger through her eyes that can melt boulders and says something in the lines of how one such woman is equal to many men when going head-on with the hero. Speaking about the women of this franchise, we don’t get to see any women from the Durai Ayya’s family.

Even the conflict doesn’t put much on stake for Balu and his family because it almost doesn’t get personal between them and the baddies. The edge of the seat anticipation on what Lal’s character in the original film would do next and moments such as when he calls someone for help only to know about Balu’s heritage or the scene where he flings a sickle towards Balu only for it to slice through a banana tree are missed terribly. Moreover, the ‘build-up’ scenes in the first part felt organic and considering Vishal’s position today, it seeps past the hero worship territory and sort of brushes his real-life persona. In his surprisingly simple introduction scene in an airport, he bypasses the celebratory welcome only to get into a cab to tell the bewildered driver how he doesn’t like such treatments. In another scene, after making a temporary ‘sacrifice’, he’d mouth about how people indulging in service to the public, shouldn’t mind their personal lives going kaput.

Despite such drawbacks, Sandakozhi 2 does have its moments that not only remind us about the best parts of the original film but also teases the masala film lover in you (particularly the action sequences). The wafer-thin storyline is streched with quite a few enjoyable scenes, especially in the first half. Though the initial reason for the conflict happens to be caste, the film intelligently stays away from speaking about it. Yuvan’s Kambathu Ponnu track is my pick and since the overall album is pretty good, songs don’t hinder the flow. The climax too is sort of similar to its predecessor but the way it finishes feels satisfactory though I don’t really agree with the social stereotypes it tries to highlight. On the whole, Sandakozhi 2, though can’t match with the intensity of its original film, maintains the essence of the franchise, thereby making it a film you won’t regret watching.

Rating: 2.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo