Skip to main content

Vada Chennai

Cast: Dhanush, Aishwarya Rajesh, Samuthirakani, Ameer, Andrea, Daniel Balaji, Kishore, Radha Ravi
Director: Vetri Maran

A game of carrom is all fun until you pocket the red coin. Immediately, you’re put into a spot where you’re forced to pocket another coin, that too one of yours and that’s when the pressure gets real. You got to nail it, as failing to do so will give your opponent an opportunity. That’s the story of Vada Chennai’s Anbu (Dhanush), an aspiring carrom board player, whose unintentional moves get him from the plain flat regular life into the webbed underworld that’s so unpredictable that you might not even know which direction you’ll fall in.

Vada Chennai, though fresh with its treatment and content, does remind you a little of director Vetri Maran’s previous films as well as Dhanush’s first gangster film, Puthupettai, which became a cult classic over the years. Apart from different factions doing what it takes to bring the other side down, there’s the politics within the same group, similar to Polladhavan; a story of a simple boy-next-door who is forced to swim in an ocean he had only seen from a distance a la all the filmmaker’s flicks as well as Puthupettai and there’s even a failed assassination plan that results in a prime character getting paralysed (seen in Polladhavan as well as Puthupettai). But that’s what you see macroscopically because deep inside, Vada Chennai is a world of its own, a cruel world we’ll get to know very well about and yet can’t get enough of.

In a scene, a police constable sits in between two steel-mesh netted walls, in a narrow corridor that separates prisoners from visitors and he pulls a strong thread that goes through the length of the entire room – to flick the illegal contents that are tried to get smuggled in. In another scene, how basic necessities one can access in a jail is shown as materials for making weapons. What a regular human finds shocking seems to be normalized in this world and imagine what a havoc in such a world might look like.

We also get to see the basic emotions that lubricate the chains of every rusty gangster film — there’s the ‘I attacked him because he slapped my parent’ angle, unadulterated love, never-ending ego, a blinded thirst to go up the ranks and become a leader, betrayal and more. But on the other hand, there are also some more elements that you wouldn’t really expect in such a genre. Instead of just using women as pawns, sort of similar to the recently released Chekka Chivantha Vaanam, the women of Vada Chennai are extremely strong characters. And when I say so, I even mean the smallest of female characters.

The film has an ensemble cast that includes talents who’ve proven their mettle in Vetri’s previous films and thanks to them, the film does its job of awing you. As the film covers quite a few years, Dhanush’s looks keep changing often and his characterisation too evolves along with it. The innocent, clean shaved teen is nowhere close to the rugged, more grounded man that his clan reveres during the end. There’s also a ton of talents behind the camera who deserve their due recognition. The costumes and art direction are brilliant and they do their bits in letting the audience keep a track on the varying timelines. You should be living under a rock if you haven’t listened to (and fallen in love too) and even if that doesn’t get you, the background score is easily one of the best in recent times. The dialogues too, though explicit, doesn’t sound out of place and words such as ‘flayer’ for player and other colloquial Tamil words used, bring in a sense of authenticity to the film.

What didn’t work for me is the sudden hero worship the film resorts to closer to the end and a rather out of the blue action sequence that seems to be a forced jib to satiate the quench of the actor’s fans. The twists too, which are quite a few, are rather easy to gauge. But those revelations are actually shown to be more of a reveal rather than a twist and knowing it doesn’t deter the experience. Said to be a trilogy, the film opts for an open ending without opting for a cliffhanger and that does give a certain level of satisfaction. With quite a few raw nerves touched, the sequel has enough scope to be as entertaining as this has been and that’s a new to Tamil cinema.

Rating: 3.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo