Skip to main content

Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven

Director: Sundar C
Cast: Silambarasan, Megha Akash, Catherine Tresa, Prabhu, Ramya Krishnan

Though I’m not comfortable with the usage of the term ‘comeback’ in Tamil cinema, Chekka Chivantha Vaanam was termed as one for Silambarasan a.k.a Simbu a.k.a STR. You know how much the Mani Ratnam film means to the actor’s career when his next film is titled after a a line from CCV. But it’s rather sad when you see Sundar C’s Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven and realise that the title is as creative as film gets. And let’s not forget the fact that VRV is technically a remake of the Telugu film Attarintiki Daredi.

VRV has the so-called essentials that you’d find in any Sundar C film from the last decade – a cast list that’s as long as the population of a small town, an expensive set of a house, a host of comedians who’re given more screen space than the actual female lead and of course, intolerable songs. What’s different – if I had to nitpick – is that it’s been a while since his films had a ‘hero’ rather than a male lead. And despite how much we love the ‘actor’ Simbu from films such as Kovil, Thotti Jaya and Vinnaithaandi Varuvaya, he’s been more interested in giving us the ‘hero’ as that’s what his fans apparently want. This actually works to a certain level in VRV as Aditya a.k.a Raja (yes, even his onscreen name has aliases) almost has the dorkiness of a Sundar C’s lead and is yet infused with the hero serum.

But that ends up as its bane as it’s visible when they overdo it and the aftertaste of it is rather sour. For example, even before Raja is introduced, our ears are softened with lines such as “you’ve seen him silent, now see him violent’. And as expected, such lines only keep bouncing into our ear canal similar to how the goons he thrashes bounce. Yes, they actually bounce and I can’t wait for someone to do a compilation video with Super Mario’s music.

What VRV’s core story isn’t something particularly new to Tamil cinema either. If we get one rupee for each Tamil film where an uber-rich hero intentionally acts as a pauper/blur collar worker, we’ll be as rich as the hero himself. In a nutshell, VRV is the story of a rich Aditya/Raja (which even the makers don’t care to explain to the rest of the characters) who comes back to India in order to win the trust and take his aunt Nandhini (Ramya Krishnan) back to his granddad who is also the latter’s daddy dearest (played by the as usually under-utilised Nassar). And out of every other profession, Raja opts to become a driver (who wears the swankiest of clothes) to get closer to the family and boy, does he get close – to the younger women of the family – Maya and Priya (Megha Akash and Catherine Tresa respectively). While this troupe of becoming a driver felt believable in a film like Viswasam where the protagonist is an illiterate, it’s anything but convincing here.

Speaking about the female leads, they almost bring nothing to the table and ironically, they are skimpily dressed whereas the men mostly have multiple layers of clothing. Even in 2019, we are still subjected to seeing heroes getting into a woman’s bathroom and pulling her dress zip without her consent. It’s high time writers realise that casual sexism isn’t funny. Usually, the makers of a remake would say in interviews that they’ve altered the script to suit the local audience’s sensibilities but VRV looks like a film that’s tweaked to suit the sensibilities of Simbu’s fans. Just like a host of his previous films, there are umpteen references to his personal and professional life. While some are sweet, the rest are borderline boring and the one about his ex is actually cringe-worthy.

What actually worked for me was how it is established that Raja is a billionaire – not just with dialogues but also incorporated in the screenplay and that too in a comical manner. For example, in a scene, the old driver is gotten rid of by Raja’s team with that guy getting the keys to an Audi car in return and in another, there are actual food kiosks next to Raja’s workplace just so he can get his caffeine shot and quick munches whenever he desires. Addressing a rich man as so was an issue I had with Vijay’s Sarkar and I’m glad that it wasn’t the case with VRV.

While comedians like Robo Shankar, Rajendran and VTV Ganesh don’t really tickle our ribs, just like Santhanam who enters only in the second half of Kalakalappu to steal the show, Yogi Babu makes his mark despite his late entry. The comparison though isn’t meant to be taken literally as Santhanam makes a good comedy caper better in Kalakalappu but here, Yogi Babu makes the uninteresting watch a tad tolerable – despite him being once again subjected to ‘jokes’ on his appearance.

On the whole, VRV is a classic example of what should be retained and what shouldn’t be added when a film from the comedy genre is remade. The end product here is something that tries to be both a Simbu and a Sundar C film but it fails to be captivating and falls as fast as the football that Simbu kicks in CCV as he utters the words Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven.

My rating: 2/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi shoulder a mediocre film: Master Review

A flawed protagonist and a powerful antagonist have always proven to be successful tropes in the world of cinema. The hero, when being anything but perfect, makes way for a beautiful story arc as he convalesces and a strong villain makes the hero’s triumph at the end larger. Despite having both of these, Vijay’s Master feels far from a perfect flick thanks to succumbing to irregular pacing and a middling screenplay. Master follows the trials and tribulations of JD (Vijay), an alcoholic college professor whose valiant effort towards the student community plants a belief in his colleague Charu (Malavika Mohanan) that he would be able to do the same to the kids in a juvenile correction centre that needs… correction. Armed with a just kada, a classic four-wheeler, a Persian cat and a cool pair of sunglasses, JD embarks on a journey that will collide with that of Bhavani’s (Vijay Sethupathi). On paper, Master looks like a failproof star vehicle – the story of a man out there to teach lesson

Icon Residency, Wayanad

During one of my solo bike rides from Chennai to Coorg, I took a detour to check out Wayanad and since Coorg is just a few hours by road from there, I decided to use the small town also for a layover. A quick search told me about the limited options this tourist location has and as I was all by myself, I didn’t mind taking a risk by choosing whatever has a decent rating. iCon Residency in Kalpetta had some really good reviews and in no time, I was in Kerala via Bangalore.  iCon Residency is located on National Highway 212. Though the direction on Google Maps is accurate, finding the place was quite a challenge as it’s located past a narrow street. The hotel looks brilliant from the outside in total contrast to the otherwise old town. There’s also a decent parking space. The basic room I opted for is small when compared to average rooms but for a solo traveller, it was cosy and perfect. The bed

Spago Inn, Mahabalipuram

It was yet another trip to Mahabalipuram and if you visit the famous tourist town as much as I do, you should be knowing that unless you’re a tourist, it’s better to stay from the centre of the city. A quick search told me that Spago Inn, a considerably new property has made its way to ECR, right at the entrance of Mahabs. I had also seen it, right on the main road, during my regular drives down that brilliant stretch of tarmac. The town is famous for pocket-friendly options making it perfect for a day’s retreat and Spago Inn too fits the bill.  Unlike most of the properties in Mahabs, Spago Inn has a car parking space, enough for more than half a dozen four-wheelers. The room is compact, similar to most of the properties in that price range but ticks off all the basic boxes one would expect. The place is extremely clean and neat. The linens were tidy and so was the bathroom. The bed was comfy too and it was perfect fo